Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Born To Knit

Okay, I'm a nerd.

I just realized that my name, Alyson, is knitty. Someday I'll open a yarn shop. Let's say it's on Main Street. (Creative, no?) So I would run a local yarn store on Main. You know...a LYS on Main. A-LYS-On-Main. It'd be even weirder if I could open it on a street with my last name.

Anyway, we're here today to look at socks. As promised, Susan hung onto her socks so I could take photos.

Lost Coast Socks
Start Date: June 14, 2006
Finish Date: June 25, 2006
Pattern: None...my own randomly-occurring thought process.
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Baltic Sea colourway
Needles: Size 1 Crystal Palace bamboos (my favourite brand of dpns...coated with I-don't-know-what to make them nice and smooth, but still light as wee feathers.)

IMG_2018

I love that even though it pooled a bit at the gusset, the yarn was courteous enough to pool precisely...so the outside of each foot has a puddle of grey and green, and the inside of each foot has a puddle of grey and blue. And I think I love this yarn, by the way.

You may notice (and how could you not?) that one sock is smaller. The top sock's cuff came out a wee shorter, and the heel flap also came out a wee shorter. I have no idea how this happened. I'm kind of compulsive about measuring. I'm annoyed.

For Rene:

IMG_2019

Gratuitous heel shot.

(Seriously, that short flap drives me nuts. Thank God they're not my socks. Although, oddly, I never noticed it until today.)

IMG_2017

The final packaging, complete with the inspirational photo of Lost Coast, California. (I know they call the colourway Baltic Sea, but the colours were reminiscent of a black sand beach to me.)

I have to get back to Tilia now. I'm hoping to get her done in less than seven months. ('Done' to me equals knit and blocked, not necessarily seamed. There is the distinct possibility that I will just hang her pieces on the wall when finished, because the idea of seaming anything terrifies me for some reason.)