Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Chase Manhattan - For Knitters

I have spent my tax refund. Like, three times. And we got the mortgage statement, and our payment is due...JUNE 1st!!! No May payment! I reallly DO get to spend the mortgage money on yarn!!

I don’t know what chromosome it is, specifically, that carries the “obsess and compulse” trait, but I wish I could isolate and destroy it. I go so head-first into a hobby that it becomes all-consuming. I’ll be honest, I wish I wasn’t so damn nutty about this fixation knitting thing.

I bought some yarn. I bought some rosewood straights (couldn’t figure out what happened to my 11s, might as well get some good ones), I bought some bamboo circs (the Boye interchangeables? so over those), I bought some Addi Turbo circs and Art Fibers tussah silk (destash, huzzah!), I bought some more yarn, I bought some rosewood circs from kpixie (that I REALLY didn’t need to spend that much on...) along with some hemp and some bamboo and....I’m getting dizzy. Everything is earmarked, though, I assure you. I purchase with purpose.

And I can’t seem to leave poor Carolyn Greenwood alone. But bless her, she just makes the most wonderful stuff! I can’t wait to try some gloves or armwarmers with her stuff - cast ‘em on small and just let the lycra handle the curves...no decreasing!! The four on the right all came in one box - that’s a lot of bright happy yarn in one shipment! (And the yellow was dyed specially for me by request!)

IMG_1677

Same two pair of socks on the needles. Finished the catghan for Snigglet (cast on too tightly, wish I’d done better with it....but I doubt the kittens will notice anything wrong, it’s fuzzy.)

I started a little lap blanket/chair shawl (I did not cast on large enough, and yet I just keep on knitting, knowing that it’s not as wide as I’d like....I can always make another one and seam them together, I tell myself.) This is that fun Patagonia slubby cotton I love so much that I started with two skeins and have gradually over several trips to Sip and Knit worked my way up to six...

IMG_1695
My camera hates stitch definition, so this is as intricate as I can get. It’s box stitch. I like it.

IMG_1699
Rooster doesn’t want the paparazzi harassing his cuddling blanket.

I’m also working on that secret project...but I’ve learned that Mom doesn’t actually look at this, so I can tell you about it. (But just in case: Mom, go away! Or scroll down real fast!) It’s a feather-and-fan shawl (did you know that’s a really stupid-easy pattern? it looked complicated to me, so I stupidly paid for the pattern....hrmph) and I’m knitting it in Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. Mom loves the brights, and I love how she loves those non-mom colours. I’m calling it “Taos” and I picture her wearing it to Flat Rock Playhouse with some flowing and breezy outfit, the turquoise playing up the silver in her hair. I’m excited to have it finished - I have eight skeins of the silk, and I’m hoping that’ll be enough - this is about two-thirds of a skein here.

IMG_1708

Finally, there’s the other new purchase. I wouldn’t normally classify a purse as breathtaking, but Mom arrived this weekend with her new Cole-Haan and it dazzled me so much I had to go purchase a remarkably similar bag (in the same trip, Mom also settled on the carry-on sized bag - thus completing a three-piece matched set between the two of us.)

IMG_1712
Innocent enough. No crazy lady here, carrying a purse and a diaper bag-like knitting project bag (see that grey twelve-seasons-ago Kate Spade on the floor over there? Perfect sub for the Knitter’s Purse.). Nope, just this one little unassuming but classy bag.

IMG_1716
Wait a minute...what’s this? There seems to be something amiss....

IMG_1719
Uh-oh....yeah, that’s right....the crazy lady managed to make some room for us...we can’t be held back...

IMG_1717
We are your obsession! You will go nowhere without us! Resistance is futile!!

IMG_1630
Meanwhile, Little Bit likes that the bag matches her perfectly....

IMG_1627
....Brodie likes the silver thing with the bright flashy light...

IMG_1637
....And Rooster likes the remnants of a long-tail cast-on.

(Indy just likes that she managed to avoid the camera this time...)