Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Have An FO! ...If Buying Something Makes It An FO

Vegas was AMAZING! Your comments on that post were such a blast to read, and I wish you could have heard Travis reading the news aloud in the car on the way to the airport - I've never heard him speak so fast!

I'll talk about it in a post soon - we had a great time, incredible food, and enjoyed being out of the rain for a bit. Fay didn't do any damage to our place or have much effect on our area as far as floods or power outages, but man was I tired of the colour grey. I have hundreds of photos to narrow down to a post's worth, so for now I wanted to share something I procured recently at Orlando's Happiest Place on Earth. I'm referring, of course, to the Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet center. Have you ever felt the joy of getting something couture for 93% off? It feels a lot like what I imagine stealing would be like - dirty and kind of exhilarating - but without the guilt because at least you paid SOMEthing.

But this. This. THIS. This sounds as ridiculous as it really was, but when I saw it, everything around it went hazy and it glowed and I heard music....it was kind of like when Wayne first saw Cassandra on stage in Wayne's World. (Except I heard The Carpenters' "Close to You" rather than "Dreamweaver".) If I were to ever knit something like this, I'd lay down the needles and burn the stash, because my work as a knitter would be over.

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

It's stunning, isn't it?

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

The retail price on this was horrifying. I would not, could not (Sam I Am) ever pay that sort of money for a sweater, even being as in love with it as I am. Wanna know what the original tag said? One thousand five hundred and ninety five dollars. A sixteen hundred dollar sweater. NEVER. But it was marked down so ridiculously - I mean, obscenely ridiculously - that when I did the math, the yarn alone to knit a comparable sweater would have been almost twice as much more. And I still would have had to knit it!

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

The deets: It's a TSE hooded sweater coat in Oatmeal. And seeing that little TSE tag gave me joy because I know what TSE is about - TSE is about cashmere. Only the purest cashmere. Yep, 100% cashmere sweater coat.

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

I plan to wear it all the time. Or leave it wrapped in tissue paper in the bottom drawer with a lavender sachet like it is right now. Maybe put it on a mannequin and encase it in glass and put it in the living room. (Yep, I love it that much. Look at me - I'm wearing it in August.)

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

If you see me in this at Taos Wool and you ask me if I knit it, hell yes I did. Forgot the pattern. Couldn't tell ya. What's that over there? *zoom*

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

This is a crapload of pictures of a storebought sweater, I know. I'm just in love.

TSE Cashmere Hooded Sweater Coat

See? That's my in-love face. (I know, poor Travis. My in-love face should be cuter than this.)

I'll close with a bit of knitting news - I do still knit, when I'm not shopping for things I can pass off as knit. Miss Valerie of Yarn 4 Socks has given me permission to show a little sneaky peek of the pattern I'm working on for the October Sock Club (clicky linky to spendy). As a reminder, the yarn for that month will be Sunshine Yarns, which means it's guaranteed fabulous. (One of my favourites.) The shot I'm showing here is the heel. I just can't get excited about a plain old heel sometimes - pretty sure Cookie did that to me.

Sneak Peek - October Yarn 4 Socks Sock Club