Friday, August 17, 2007

Let's Focus On The Yay

First up, my Palooooza finally received her socks! Oh thank GOD - I would have been beyond consolable if they'd just disappeared forever.

Billy Bob was AWE. SOME. It was a little heavy on the country, but he was charming and told funny stories, and his band (of six!) was absolutely phenomenal. The second half of the show was more of a country-rock feel, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, that sort of thing. It was really completely fantastic, and we had a blast. The place was only about a quarter full (no fair, I'm sorry Billy - you deserve better turnout!) but the smaller crowd made it more fun for us. I was surprised at the audience though - biggest bunch of freeloaders I've ever seen, screaming and begging for guitar picks, drumsticks, cigarette lighters, whatever they could get their hands on. Bizarre. Billy spent about ten minutes during the final encore sitting at the front of the stage and signing autographs for everyone who wanted one, which was pretty damned cool of him. (I didn't get one - I'm always excited to shake the hand of someone I admire, but signatures aren't as thrilling for me. Other than the four signed Harlot books, obviously.) But yeah, it was a cool gig and I'd recommend seeing him if his band is ever near you. (I was completely blown away by his musicians. Holy crap.)

I think that's really all I have for now. We're still dealing with a never-ending stream of problems with our house, which it would seem has stepped up its efforts to get us to go broke and divorce. We've joked about loosening the roof's reinforcing timbers and straps for the hurricane season, just in hopes that we can pack up the animals and the valuables - and the wool - and the place will just blow away. Of course, in real life, I'd be devastated if that happened - but when we're at a full-blown this-house-is-trying-to-kill-us rant, it's fun to kid about it. We've also joked that if we were to divorce, we'd be the only couple to ever fight over who would get to NOT keep the house. (Before anyone worries, no the house is not tearing us apart - the opposite, really - and any cracks we make about divorce are just us being goofy.) Our house is so pretty and I love the space, but DAMN. I like the idea of this house much more than I like actually dealing with it sometimes. ;-)

Happy weekend everybody!