Saturday, July 21, 2007

Saturday: Final Update

**I feel that I should point out, by the way, that I will NOT BE WRITING ANYTHING ABOUT THE DETAILS OF THE BOOK. I would never, ever, ever do that to you. The only book-talk here is related to my own progress, in broad terms.**

Potter Progress:
50perc.png

Vanilla Socks Progresss:
55perc.png

Personal Hygiene Progress:
15perc.png

Annoying Hell Out Of Husband Progress:
70perc.png

Aching fingers meant that not much got done on the second sock; but hey, a sock in a day?? Who's complaining? (For the record, briefly, Cider Moon Glacier in Cayenne colourway on US3 needles, eight-inch leg, nine and one-half inch foot. And I started it while waiting in line for the book on Friday.)

Also for the record, I had to wait a smidge over two hours in the store to get my book, having not pre-reserved. My best friend had pre-ordered for me, but I knew I wouldn't be able to wait for Saturday's mail. The gift-wrapped copy is intact on my dresser, and I may leave it that way for posterity, or a really long time. Something symbolic about that, to me, since she's the one who introduced me to the series and I read the first installment while I was visiting for her graduation from the University of Florida; her mother, her father, her brother (and his girlfriend at the time, I think), her then-boyfriend-now-fiance, and me and Harry, waiting for her name to be called (and yes, I did put the book down when they got to her row!)

We did get a call shortly after midnight from Travis' aunt, who informed us that she had been able to waltz right into the Wal-Mart and get her book with no wait, but when I halfheartedly offered to spare him and risk everything, Travis quoted a line from one of my favourite movies, The Contender: "Principles only mean something when you stick to them when it's inconvenient." And thus the Wal-Mart ban holds strong.)

Now I'll be curling up in bed to keep going as long as I can or am able; I really do need to at least get to the Whole Foods tomorrow, so I need to do better than half of the book for today's progress. I'm not leaving this room until it's done. If I set one foot outside of here and catch a spoiler, I'll wither up and die. (Or be really pissed.) I hate it - I'd really love to be able to savor this precious last tome, but it's more important to me that I get to see whatever Rowling has to say from her own pages.

As for Travis...the poor, poor man. He's really terrifically understanding about this disease of mine...but after staying up until the wee hours of the morning with me last night, and working on his truck all day today and coming home to hear me bellow at him every time the dogs indicated that they needed to go outside (seriously, I'm not setting foot outside of this place,) I'm fairly certain he's about had it. I did manage to drag myself into the kitchen to slap together a respectable dinner for him out of gratitude, before I retired to the bedroom again with cheese, saltines, and a V8.