Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Never Promised You a FO Garden

I keep forgetting to post this, and I've been meaning to for ages: Rosi wrote up a very awesome (free!) pattern, and she's also holding a contest for the first six people who knit the pattern up. It's especially great for bold sock yarns - which I'm sure we know I'm a big fan of. This will link you to the pdf for the pattern; if you're not ready to commit to a download, check out her post about the pattern here.

Also, I got the sweetest e-card from my brand-spankin-new secret pal. I was easy to entertain yesterday due to my exhaustion level, so I sat there giggling as I watched the goldfish jump out of the bowl, wave at the bird, and fall back into the bowl for probably two minutes. Thanks pal - good to "meet" you!!

One last thing - my suggestion for the Socks That Rock name-the-colorway contest got selected for the finalists! I'm thrilled! I won't tell you which one was mine - I don't want to be accused of attempting to ballot-stuff - but even if it doesn't win, it was an honor just to be nominated. ;-)

So let's get to it, now, shall we? Behold! The sixth completed pair of the year!

Posh Socks #6

(My showcase "Socks on Trees" shot deserved a bigger entry - the rest of the photos will be the little ones.)

I LOVE these socks. Love the yarn, love the pattern, love the blockers - everything is fantastic.

Posh Socks #6

The fit is great...they're maybe a tiiiiiny bit big in the foot, but I'll survive. I must make an effort to baby these, though - they're not superwash, so I have to be very careful!

Posh Socks #6

I couldn't stop taking pictures of them! At some point, a leaf grabbed hold and went for a ride with his knitted bretheren:

Posh Socks #6

Project Stats:
Yarn: Posh Yarns (70% merino, 30% cashmere) in Scuffle colorway (purchased from The Loopy Ewe - I'll be sure to let you know when it's back in stock.)
Pattern: Embossed Leaves by Mona Schmidt (from IK Summer 2005, I believe - it's also featured in the new Favorite Socks book we're all so crazy about.)
Needles: US size 1 Lantern Moon Sox Stix
Start Date: February 9
Finish Date: March 13
Mods: I didn't do the cast-on directed or the first couple of rows directed - just used my regular old long-tail cast-on and started the twisted rib. That's about it, other than some minor changes made based on length requirements or preference.

Posh Socks #6

I think we can safely say the star toe that Mona uses is one of my favorites. It fits me so comfortably. Oh, and let me talk about those Sox Stix for a minute - they're rosewood, and they're 5" - they're lovely for knitting, a little bit less smooth than some of your metal needles, so they grip quite well. My only beef is that they're pretty stumpy. I'm not a convert from my pointy Crystal Palace DPNs, but these were nice enough, and they come in a pretty bag. (I'm a sucker for packaging.)

Posh Socks #6

I'd skipped the garter ridge design element on the previous Mona Schmidt socks I knit, and now I wish I hadn't - I like the little bit of flair it adds. I really enjoy Mona's patterns; I think hers might be two of my favorites I've knit. (The other was the Bells and Whistles socks from the recent IK Holiday issue.)

How 'bout a little help?

While I was taking pictures of my feet, Travis was replacing my newly-patched tire. See that little arch in the right eyebrow? That says "Uhhh, you're taking pictures of your FEET - you wanna come help me out here??"

But wait! There was more! It was a happy mail day!

Groupieeeee!!!

I'm a Loopy Groupie now!!! Sheri sent my goodie bag 'special delivery' and I got it yesterday - check out that tote bag and all the goodies inside! How AWESOME!!

Groupie goods (minus two chocolates)

I got the tote (which is awesome), a skein of Opal (whee!), a very cool pattern, and ten yummy chocolates! (Yes, I realize there are only eight in this picture, and I'll thank you to mind your own damned business about it!) ;-)

Sheri did a shop update a few days ago, and in a new twist, everything's not gone yet. If you're jonesing, I highly recommend All Things Heather, and the new Cider Moon yarns are supposed to be fantastic.

Tune in tomorrow, when I will bring you yarn p0rn, a sneak peek of some of the contest prizes, and show you the really special giftie I got yesterday from Travis. (Hint: It's not the patched tire.)

Remember....leave comment, win contest. (Possibly, anyway.)