Saturday, March 10, 2007

What A Day. And Night.

Dudes, Travis is out playing video games with the guys. I am home with some cold jalapeno pizza, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle on TBS, and a sock-in-progress. Heaven! (Note: I don't normally enjoy stoner comedy in the least...but dammit this movie's funny. Any film that includes the line, "Did Doogie Howser just steal my f***ing car?" is alright by me.)

Today was such a great day. There's an FO a few paragraphs down, if you want to skip to that, but for a second I want to harp on my awesome day.

We hit up the tux shop first to get Travis fitted and make our final selections. We went to Mellow Mushroom for one of their delicious wheat-crust pizzas, then to Starbucks for my macchiatto fix, and headed to the mall (which I survived, thank you) so I could pick up some essentials (read: get some makeup and a free gift). We also stopped by the SPCA to snuggle some kitties and make cute noises at the dogs - the shelter is right across the street from the mall, so I like to drop in and spread some love.

And we got our rings! It makes me feel that much closer to marriage - wheee!!! Poor Travis had to try on dozens of rings before finding one that was comfortable for him - he has the strangest fingers. He has beautiful hands, especially for a mechanic - he's almost obsessively clean. But his fingers keep changing sizes! Last weekend, he was measured at 8.25. Early this afternoon, another store measured him at 9. And later in the afternoon, when we bought the ring at yet another store, it was the 9.5 that fit best. We get home, unwrap them, try them on again.....

His is too big! What the hell??? So now we have to take it back, get the 9....what's causing this? The only thing I can figure is that he works with his hands, and they must swell and shrink depending on what he did the day before. He did have a really long tough day at work yesterday, so maybe his hands are swollen.

I photographed a few highlights.

The man waiting for me at the end of the aisle.

I've only seen him in a full suit once, at our friend's wedding when he was an usher. I was sort of stunned again by how handsome he is. The same face I see first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and yet sometimes it still comes as a happy surprise when I look at him.

Mmmm...

Honestly, this one just almost stops my heart.

Okay, thank you for indulging me and my nothing-to-do-with-knitting nonsense. I reward you with an FO report!

Mata Hari socks #5

Fini!! I'm so happy to have another sock FO - feels like it's been ages!!!

Mata Hari socks #5

Pattern: Craftoholic's Mata Hari sock (unfortunately not available right now.)
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in one of their potluck colorways
Needles: US size 1 Crystal Palace DPNs
Start: February 22, 2007
Finish: March 9, 2007
Pattern Notes: The pattern was sort of a guidline more than anything - a portion of a chart, and some pointers. It assumed you could pretty much wing a sock pattern - but of course I can, so I inserted 2x2 ribbing for an inch, an eye of partridge heel, and a wedge toe. The recipient has little feet, so I think I like knitting for her!

Mata Hari socks #5

Oddly, even though the yarn stained my needles purplish, it didn't bleed much at all. And it's very squishy and soft; I think I'll put Cherry Tree Hill on my list of favorites. And I love this potluck thing - I like variation in my colors, but I'm actually selective about variegated yarns; I like the depth, but I don't like the pooling. This is a perfect yarn for that.

Okay, back to my quiet evening with myself, the pets, Harold, and Kumar. I just got a nice surprise, too - this weekend is a big celebration in our little town; some festival thing on the lake a few blocks down from our house, and they do a huge fireworks display that can be seen from our front porch, and which made the night that much more awesome. It was nice of the town to celebrate our great day.

Happy knitting!