Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Episode 82, In Which Mother Nature Punishes Me For Failing To Commute Properly

Portrait of a Girl, Her Sock, and Her Stupid Flat Tire (flat tire not pictured)

Why this portrait of me, in my car, looking so forlorn even as I embrace my lovely Posh sock?

D'oh!!!!

Nice. And of course it's due to a big ol' screw in my tire - which I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with the massive construction going on in, around, and above our parking lot (which is under the interstate, which is of course in a constant state of torn-apartedness). This is why I love the bus...but I had to drive in yesterday, and I was duly punished. Thank you, universe. This is a brand-new tire. Sigh.

I had to call Travis to come help me. Not because I'm a girl - on the contrary, I'll have you know that I had the fastest tire-changing time in my driver's ed class, thankyouverymuch, and I've changed tires on residential streets and on the side of the turnpike. (Admittedly, that was a little scary.) But I've never been in a situation where I was in fancy dress and being accosted by the homeless while trying to change a tire. And while I sympathize with the homeless, I really don't want to attempt to change a tire while a toothless man harasses me about letting him do it in exchange for two dollars. (Why? I'm doing just fine on my own, and it's free! Besides, don't you think two dollars is kind of lowballing for that kind of labor?) So along came Travis, and since he was there....I let him do it. Heh. Today, though - this was stressful morning, man; the stakes of catching the bus have never been higher - there's no more driving on that little cruddy spare, and I would have been stuck at home.

I made a HUGE commitment yesterday. I'm immensely proud of myself. And since I've not forgotten about my pledge to do new things this year, we'll call this my New Stuff Wednesday item:

This is what commitment looks like.

Okay, to the average eye, this is nothing special. But to me, it is an incredible stride into adulthood. I still have trouble describing myself as a "woman" and fall back more frequently on the term "girl" or "gal", and I think it's my inability to commit that makes me feel that I'm still falling short of adulthood. But this! This is my beloved conservationist-approved Starbucks mug marked in PERMANENT INK with my drink of choice. (Grande iced single shot caramel macchiato, 2% milk). I love this mug because it looks like a Starbucks cup and I think that's endlessly clever...still, I couldn't bring myself to tattoo it. But today, I am committing to my drink; I am establishing permanence! Not that I can't tell them something different if I'm feeling feisty that day....but hey, it's progression!

(And yes, I do carry that cup everywhere in case the craving strikes. It's in my knitting bag with all my other essentials. The sad thing is that Starbucks' coffee beans aren't even very good. I'm not a big coffee fan, but even I can tell that they over-roast their beans and there's better coffee in this world. And yet, I'm completely addicted and in love with Starbucks. Thank goodness I don't live in Seattle (yet) - I would just pitch a tent outside of Caffe Ladro and live there. A Ladro latte alone is worth the flight out there.)

Yarn Pirate merino/tencel in Dogwood colorway

Hey, a wound cake of sock yarn! That must mean there's a new sock on the needles - which in turns means there's a sock OFF the needles! Huzzah - FO photos coming soon. (This is Yarn Pirate's merino/tencel yarn in the Dogwood colorway. I almost started my Socks that Rock kit, but I've been itching to try this merino-tencel blend. The pattern for my wedding socks hasn't been released yet, so I'm killing time.)

Remember, blogiversary contest - leave comment, fabulous prizes.