Thursday, January 25, 2007

Just Can't Get Enough

Okay, so I concede that these socks will certainly not qualify under "New Stuff Wednesday" (which I missed and will get to in a moment). It's Susan's birthday (she of the remarkable knitterly gifts) and I had a hunch she wanted socks. (Mainly because I would overhear her saying things like, "Alyson, I want handknit socks.")

I'm calling them my first pair of 2007, since I just finished them recently, but they're also a child of 2006 - and only my third socks ever, sorta. I knit the first one way back in April, and when Susan said she really liked the yarn and it matched her favorite pajamas perfectly, I finished the first one and set it aside (nine months to her birthday.)

I finished up the second one earlier this month, and presented them to her today.

(I did not, however, take many pictures.)

Jaywalkers, #1

Project Stats:
Pattern: The omnipresent Jaywalkers - yet again
Yarn: Artyarns Ultramerino, Color 127
Needles: Size 1 Susan Bates DPNs for the first sock, Size 1 Crystal Palace DPNs for the second
Start Date: April 4, 2006
Finish Date: January 8, 2007
Project Notes: Seriously? It's Jaywalkers. What more is there? (My only beef - the heel flap is kinda big. Probably not likely to stop me from knitting this pattern again.) As for the yarn, I really like it - it softens quite a bit in the bath. I don't think it's superwash, though, which is its only downfall in this climate. That's certainly not enough to turn me off though!

Jaywalkers, #1

I'm pleased with how well they match up, given that they were born nine months apart. (I've named them Sean Preston and Jayden James.)

I can't wait to find a new pattern perfect for striping or variegated yarn. I know they're out there - but are there any that are better or even close to Jaywalkers? I need to start going through my stitch dictionaries...surely I can create some alternatives.

My "New Stuff" for this week is HUGE for me. It's tiny to anyone else - but see, I'm not a big fan of the sub sandwich. When I do get a craving, I want a sub with only: mustard, tiny bit of mayo, provolone, swiss, lettuce, tomato, lots of pickles (and I mean lots), and Beano sub dressing. And last week, I had a sub with all that, PLUS jalapenos and banana peppers.

See, I told you it didn't sound like much. But I've eaten the exact same sub for 15 years. This is huge.

(For someone as adventurous as I am - especially when it comes to food - I can be surprisingly stubborn.)