Friday, December 22, 2006

Eye Candy/Yarn Pr0n Friday!

First things first - presents!

My coworker Susan S. gave me The Devil Wears Prada on DVD for Christmas yesterday. On a whim, El Capitan let us take a two-hour lunch in the breakroom to watch it!! I LOVE when he gives us movie day - he did one earlier this year with Fun with Dick and Jane. For me, it's a double-whammy - I get paid for watching a movie AND knitting a sock!!

And La Pal sent me the cuuutest necklace! She got it from Mack, one of my favorite Etsy-ers - which is funny, since I also got something for MY pal from Mack! Even funnier, I had spotted this necklace in Mack's shop and wanted it, but someone else bought it - turns out someone else bought it for ME! Here's me with my superfly new necklace:

Yarny!

The necklace is black and white, so I'm not depriving you of color. It's just that everything else in this photo (uh, me) looked better in black and white. I wish I was better at photoshop so I could have fixed my tired eye - but it's been a long year, so I'm embracing my circles.

(For the record, I'm not the eye candy. I'm narcissistic, but I'm not THAT narcissistic.)

THIS is the eye candy. And the yarn pr0n. And my best spinning to date.

Firefly handspun2

This is four ounces of Sweet Georgia's Blue-Faced Leicester roving in "Firefly". I didn't do anything terribly scientific with the colors - just split it up and started spinning. I ended up with a great fingering weight in two-ply, about 520 yards! I was more consistent with my plying this time and managed a nice, even and tightly-but-not-too-tightly plied yarn.

Firefly handspun 3

See?

Firefly handspun4

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with it - probably not socks since BFL probably isn't the best sock yarn - but I'd LOVE them as socks...maybe I'll knit them for show.

Firefly on the niddy-noddy

The niddy-noddy shot...

And of course, the now-obligatory Yarn Scarf shot:

Firefly handspun

Now I'm off to surprise Travis and take him to lunch - he thinks I'm at work today, hee!! If I don't "see" you before Monday - have a happy Christmas-or-holiday-of-your-choice!