Friday, July 21, 2006

Because Jenn Said So...

Jenn sent this out and I'm filling it out because she's just a nifty person. The fact that I am posting this has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the fact that I am fixated on Socks That Rock and dying to try the stuff and hoping I might win. That would just be silly.

(Jenn is my Secret Pal 8 hostess, and she has been fabulous, as has my Pal, and I'm doing my best to be fabulous to my Pal. I've been hearing a few nightmare stories - I'm glad it's going smoothly for me, though...)

1. What is your favorite season of the year and why?
Does it have to be my favorite season in the state where I live? 'Cause we don't have seasons here in Florida, per se. We have Too Hot and Not Too Hot. I like the months of December, January, February....that's when it actually dips below 70. Any month when I can turn the A/C off makes me happy. I love the fall in North Carolina...cool, not humid, beautiful. I strongly dislike hurricane season.

2. Summer is hot. What do you knit in the summer?
Because it's always hot, I don't really discriminate in the summer any more than any other time of year. I am generally careful to not knit any non-superwash socks in the summer, since we won't be able to wear them for four or five months, and it's just mean to finish up something lovely and say, "Here, honey - now don't wear these until 2007."

3. If money was no object.....what would you buy at the LYS?
Oh...was I supposed to have been acting as if money was an object? I splurge pretty readily on myself and others in the yarn department, although I usually only buy very little of the expensive stuff like cashmere or silk. However, I don't spend as much on notions, books, and needles. Given someone else's checkbook, I'd probably complete my needle collection - I'm missing a LOT of circs. And I'd buy all the stuff on my Amazon wishlist (which I'm sure I could get at my LYS, and I would rather do so if money were no object.)

4. What are some activities that have become family traditions for your family?
**Travis and I had our first "date" on New Year's Eve, so we try to do something really special every New Year's. I thought it'd be nice to spend it in a different place every year, but late December/early January isn't the best time of year for a lot of places we'd like to go...
**My parents and I used to spend every Thanksgiving in Key West, and my dad and I always do the wishbone thing, when I'm with them at Thanksgiving. And we have to go around the table and say one thing we're grateful for before we eat.
**I try to spend every July 4th with my folks. I've never been a big fan of the holiday, but they make it special.
**We were one of the only families I knew who didn't open a present on Christmas Eve - I was so jealous of all my friends. But Travis' family opens one gift that night, and I've now been included in that tradition - it's always a cute set of pajamas so the Christmas morning photos are prime. (I think I'll carry on that tradition with our future kids - it's a great idea, and eliminates the ratty-t-shirt Christmas photos, like all the ones I have.)

5. What is the weather right now?
Sigh. Hot, humid, muggy. Florida-in-July weather. You know, I'm always baffled by people who claim to love this weather. Freaks.

FYI, and not related to anything that happened on this blog specifically - I love to be contacted. If you have something to say, go ahead and say it loud and proud. I love when you like something I wrote, and I don't take issue with people having a problem with something I wrote. If applicable, I'd love to have the opportunity to address misperceptions about me, even if you believe I am pure evil. (I happen to disagree, but I'm biased.) Even if I, for some bizarre reason, was inclined to slam someone on this blog, I couldn't do any damage to anyone's reputation with my li'l readership. But I wouldn't slam anyone who didn't richly deserve it, and especially if they were big enough to come to me.