Monday, June 12, 2006

Knit's End

To coin a phrase...

Okay, I'm coming back around...slowly. I am not accomplishing my socks well, however. Some, um, stuff came up on Thursday and there was sort of a wrench getting tossed around into all WIPs. My best friend Jessi came to visit for the weekend, which was so fantastically wonderful (even if it wasn't under the most glorious of circumstances) and she brought all sorts of wonderful goodies and more smiles than you could shake a stick at, if you were into that sort of thing. (I've never been one to go around shaking sticks at things, but I'm not going to tell you what's not okay for you to do for a good time.) I failed to get a single photo while she was here - she took heaps, but I didn't download them to my laptop like I said I would.

For the record - root canals are cake. I was expecting so much worse - I don't want to say I was disappointed, but...well, root canal, you get a bum wrap. (You are, however, SERIOUSLY detrimental to my yarn budget, and I'm gonna go ahead and hate you for that.)

I did get the needles I think I'll need to start my Elsebeth Lavold sweater (assuming I get gauge with the needles suggested by the pattern - and you stop laughing right now!!) I'll probably give that a shot as soon as the socks are done. I chose perhaps a rather unreasonably advanced pattern for my first ever sweater attempt, and I'm sure it'll make the Malabrigo Hourglass sweater seem like a breeze when I get to it, but - hey, I like what I like.

For my Secret Pal: I thought you might get a kick out of this one.

IMG_1901

Told you Brodie loved his toy. Well, he loved the OUTSIDE of his toy, which he still carts around but is not pictured here - these are the discarded innards. Someday I'll take a picture of all "his" toys. I say "his" because all toys that enter the home fall victim to his own special brand of play, so all poor Bitty's toys end up with the same sad deflated look of a toy that has been viciously de-stuffed. My bunny Thumper, my favourite stuffed toy since I was like four (which I am proud to say I still sleep with on frequent occasion), has managed to avoid that fate, but that's only because Brodie got such a ferocious tongue lashing and nose-thumping the one time he went near Thumper, and he hasn't dared since.

Okay, a WIP photo, but with some perspective thrown in:

IMG_1904

I frequently watch movies while I knit - lately (for the last, oh, two months) I've been on a Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit kick. How can I not love a claymation knitting dog? Of COURSE I want to knit with Gromit. But when Jessi was here, she brought me the DVD of Clue, which was a movie I watched almost daily when I was very young and to which I STILL have every line memorized. So here's me, with my Clue and my Opal sock-in-progress. And the bowl. I'll describe to you what's in the bowl, and add that it was actually my DINNER, and if that doesn't tell you where my head is at....that bowl contains popcorn I drowned in a melted mix of peanut butter and chocolate.

Yeah. It's like that. :-)